*But Were Afraid To Ask
So it's April Fool's Day but this is not a joke. It's time to introduce our monthly theme for April and this month we've put our spotlight on fountain pens, and specifically why you should consider giving them a go. You may have once used them many moons ago, before your smartphone ruled your life, or maybe you've never picked one up. Ever. Possibly the nearest you get to a pen these days is an gunge-encrusted Bic biro stuck in a grubby pen pot of Bic biros. Now the Bic biro has a place in the stationery world as do all ballpoint pens, but fountain pens are just not comparable. Yes they're both pens, but one serves a basic, grubby purpose (there's not much point trying to use your fountain pen to sign for deliveries in the warehouse, or leaving it lying around on your desk for others to 'borrow'), and one actually does something to improve your writing, to make you appreciate that writing is more than just a function.
Here's a quick hit list of why fountain pens are something you should consider trying:
- They make writing more enjoyable
- They will improve your writing
- They will slow you down just a fraction, sometimes a good thing in our rushed lives
- They will make others cast envious glances your way
- They will make you the centre of attention in a business meeting as everyone asks about your pen
- They will be the means by which you discover ink, itself a whole new world of pleasure and discovery
- They may just unlock something inside you that wants to discover more about the act of writing itself
- They will help you come the day civilisation loses all power and needs to revert back to written communication - you will be the leader of many people simply because you can write with a fountain pen, or simply because you own a fountain pen
- You will become an expert in a field you never knew you could be an expert - pens, nibs, feeds, tines and more
This is just a list off the top of my head and there may be many more reasons out there. The point of what we will turn our attention to this month is that you shouldn't be put off fountain pens because you see them as something other people use. Buy one, own one, use one just occasionally and they will add to your life. You may not become obsessive but you will hopefully know a bit more about them, and they will be just that bit less...well, scary.
We will introduce you to some people who themselves love fountain pens, some of them having only recently re-discovered them. We will highlight some classic pens worth looking at. We will provide some useful guides on how to look after your pen. And we will bring you some new fountain pen ranges.
So keep your eyes peeled, maybe sign up for our newsletter or for blog updates, or both.
Visit Bureau Direct and check out our fountain pens now if you just can't wait.